Penguins can't fly, but they sure can run!

Penguins can't fly, but they sure can run!

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Gate River Run

Today myself and several members of Team In Training ran in the Jacksonville Gate River Run. It was a 15K, sounds straight forward enough, until the last 2 miles. That's when you have to run up the Hart Bridge (affectionately known as, "The Green Monster"). It was a 1/2 mile run to the top (141 feet up), and let me tell you, it kicked my rear! But, nonetheless, we all beat it and crossed that finish line.

This was my first time running a race with anyone I knew, let alone a whole group of great individuals. Every other time that I had crossed the finish line, I was happy, but lonely too. I used to watch friends gather around and congratulate each other and maybe go back to a tent to celebrate, whereas I used to just walk back to my car. Today was different. I got to experience what it was like to finish the race and find my teammates (yes, many were done before myself), and to wait happily for the others to meet us at the end as well. Some good food and drinks at a tailgate party was the perfect end to a great day. I honestly don't know how I ran all of those races by myself before. This was such a great experience.

Fundraising is moving along. I was concerned that I wouldn't make my 25% before recommit on the 21st, and some amazing ladies from one of my mom boards stepped up to the plate, and within a few hours I was above my 25% goal! Thank you...you all know who you are.

I am in the process of finishing up a cookbook that I put together and I am hoping to send it to the publisher this next week. I will let everyone know when I have the finished product to sell. The cost will be $15, with all of the proceeds of course going to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I can't wait to get the finished product. The recipes are tried and true by myself and my family, and many recipes were submitted by friends...their tried and true favorites.

Well, I'm off to relax and have a brownie, I think I deserve it...lol.

No comments: